SOFT ADVENTURE TOUR IN BULGARIA
Type: Adventure tour, Guaranteed departures
8 days/7 nights tour
Sofia – Trigrad – Yagodina – Shiroka Luka – Smolyan – Mogilitsa – Smilyan – Zlatograd – Perperikon – Plovdiv – Sofia
Focusing on the need of some people to be active and searching new ideas and pleases, this tour is perfect for you. Combination of nature, interesting adventures and amazing natural phenomenons, for this week we will take you up on a journey that will be unforgettable
- Fully escorted dynamic, full with adrenaline and nature beauty tour with a professional tour guide
- Great variety of soft adventure activities: caving, rock climbing, air gun and bow shooting, horse riding, trekking, bicycle riding
- Accommodation in 3* and small family hotels, established in traditional for the region architectural style
- Various possibilities for tasting typical Bulgarian cuisine – traditional meals in authentic restaurants, picnics, tasting of the famous Bulgarian milk products
- Pick up for home the extremely aromatic Rhodopes forest tea, wild mushrooms and forest fruits
- Biking through the forests in the enchanting and mystic Rhodopes Mountain
- Unique experience – going in a deep and horrifying caves
Most important objects and attractions in this itinerary:
- Bulgaria’s capital city Sofia – one of the oldest cities in Europe
- Devil’s Throat cave – by underground boat trip
- Canyon of Waterfalls by trekking
- Yagodina cave, the longest and the most beautiful one in the Rhodopes
- Park of Tarzan with Arda River – by bike
- Zlatograd – a picturesque Rhodopes town, nice ethnographic complex nowadays
- Thracian city of Perpericon- a megalithic sanctuary of 8000 years, located in the mountains of Orpheus. At this place was predicted to Alexander the Great that would conquer the world
- Old town of Plovdiv – 19th century houses and Roman ruins, including a Roman amphitheater in use today
Some people prefer to capture the beauty around through photo lenses – to keep the beautiful moments forever. In this tour we will walk you through different natural beauty, authentic people and traditions that will look good not only in your photo album, but will keep the fire of the memory forever
Day 1 Arrive to Sofia
Arrival to Sofia. Transfer from the airport and accommodation in 3* hotel (Sofia Place or similar).
Day 2 Sofia city tour – Rhodope mountain (Trigrad) (B, D)
After breakfast – walking tour around the Bulgarian capital – a 8500 old city with visit to the most fascinating places of interest: the forum of Ancient Serdica (the old name of the city) with the newest archeological discoveries from Roman time which are exhibited next to the Bulgarian presidency.
The tour includes also the Alexander I square where the Royal Palace and the National Theatre are located, “Tzar Osvoboditel” boulevard, the Parliament, the Church of ”St. Sofia” (the name means wisdom), which had given the name of the city, the Sofia University and the “Alexander Nevski” cathedral (the biggest Orthodox temple on the Balkan peninsula).
Departure for the Rhodopes Mountain. The road passes by trough the extremely beautiful Vacha lake.
Accommodation, dinner and overnight in Rhodopes hotel complex in Trigrad Village (Arkan Han 3*), where is situated one of the most famous natural phenomenon in the region – the Trigrad Gorge. Wild River is curving amongst steep rocks, elevated over 100 m high!
Day 3 The Throat of the Devil cave & Climb the Iron Road (B, D)
After breakfast – entering in the Devil Throat Cave amongst the roar of the cave waterfall, dropping from more than 40 meters high. Afterwards follows climbing down with ropes – an alpine trolley, between the rocks of the canyon and climbing of the so called Via Ferrata (the Iron Road). This is kind of rock climbing over specially mounted iron steps up to 40 meters high. A small botanic garden is situated on the top, where 17 kinds of endemic species are planted.
Return to the hotel. At the shooting ground, everyone could test his/hers skills in shooting with bow or air gun.
Dinner and overnight.
Day 4 Trigrad -Yagodina cave- Shiroka Luka (B, L, D)
After breakfast – horse riding through some of the most picturesque spots in the Rhodopes mountain. Picnic lunch in “Eagle’s eye” place, where we will admire the beautiful surrounding scenery. Visiting the Yagodina cave, the longest and the most beautiful one in the Rhodopes. Often here are making… weddings!
Short nip in the Rhodopes village of Shiroka Luka – an architectural, ethnographic and folklore reserve. Accommodation in a family hotel in the village with demonstration of producing home-made butter from a cow’s milk, as well as production of yoghurt without an yoghurt maker.
Dinner with folklore program. Everybody is welcome to join the typical Bulgarian dance “Horo”.
Day 5 Shiroka Luka – Smolyan lakes – Mogilitsa village (B, L, D)
After breakfast – departure to the region of Smolyan lakes. Trekking through one of the most picturesque and rich of rare plants itinerary in the Rhodopes – the Canyon of the Waterfalls. This is a 6 km. long reserve with a cascade of waterfalls, with displacement of over 60 m.
Picnic lunch in the forest.
Accommodation, dinner and overnight in a family hotel in Mogilitsa village, where is located the biggest Muslim castle in Rhodopes from the beginning of XIX century. There is a secret room in the castle, from where the householders eavesdropped the talks of their business partners. Afterwards they used this information for future stroke of business.
Day 6 Shiroka Luka – “Park of Tarzan”- Smilian – Zlatograd (B, D)
After breakfast we will go in a natural forest park, where the “Park of Tarzan” is located. We will pass trough wooden and rope bridges in the woods at 4-6 m height. Next is bicycle ride by the riverside of the local Arda River, through enchanting mountain beauty. After the bicycle marathon, departure for the Rhodopes village of Smilian. Visit of the farm “Milk house”, where traditional for the region milk products are produced by original technology. Tasting. Here you will learn the longevity recipe of the local inhabitants.
Visit of the local Museum of the Beans. Smilian is a producer of one of the best beans sorts in Bulgaria. In the museum are exposed also pictures made with beans from guests of the village.
In the late afternoon – departure for Zlatograd – a picturesque Rhodopes town, situated only few kilometers away from the Greek boundary. Visit of the ethnographic complex, kept in it the typical for the Rhodopes architecture and acquaintance with the vivid ancient crafts, practiced here in ХVІІІ – ХІХ century.
Accommodation, dinner and overnight in one of the renovated Rhodopes houses in the complex.
Day 7 Zlatograd – Perperikon – Plovdiv – Sofia (B)
Breakfast. Departure from Zlatograd towards the rock Thracian city of Perpericon, a city with over 5000 years of history BC. In this megalith complex are made the prophecies for the victories of Alexander the Great and the first Roman Emperors, starting with Octavian Augustus! A visit of the unique rock phenomenon of Rock Mushrooms follows.
In the afternoon –visit of the Ancient Plovdiv, established in IV century B.C. by the father of Alexander the Great – King Philip II. Sightseeing of the Ancient Roman Theatre, the Fortress wall, the Roman Stadium (which has been arena of gladiators’ fights), one of the most beautiful houses from the period of the Bulgarian Renaissance /ХVІІІ – ХІХ century/.
Return back to Sofia.
Accommodation and overnight in 3* hotel.
Day 8 Departure from Sofia
Breakfast. Transfer to Sofia airport and flight back home.
Prices: on request
Tour prices include:
- Accommodation for 7 nights in 3* and in traditional hotels
- 13 meals – 7 breakfasts, 5 dinners and 1 picnic lunch
- A/C vehicle with driver during the whole trip (for groups up to 6 passengers a driver cum guide is arranged)
- Parking fees and road taxes
- All entrance fees for the museums, sites and churches mentioned in the program
- Adventure and other activities in the mountain including local guides and specialized instructors
– Tasting of milk products in Smilian
– Yagodina cave
– Picnic lunch in Trigrad
– Air gun and bow shooting
– Climbing Via Ferata
– The Park of Tarzan
– Devil’s Throat cave
– Alpine Trolley in Trigrad
– Bicycle tour in Arda
– Trekking to the Canyon of Waterfalls
– Horse riding in Trigrad
Tour prices don’t include:
- Special insurance for adventure activities, which covers risks in the mountain – approx 30 EUR for the activities from day 3 till day 6 inclusive. The insurance is not obligatory, but recommendable
- Other meals than stated
- Flight tickets