Culinary and wine tour in Bulgaria
6 days / 5 nights tour
Sofia – Arbanassi – Lyaskovets – Veliko Tarnovo – Etara – Kazanlak (Valley of Roses) – Plovdiv – Bachkovo –Rila Monastery – Sofia
- Taste authentic homemade meals from the Bulgarian national cuisine
- Learn about the ancient traditions of wine-making and get acquainted with the most important Bulgarian wine regions
- Talk with local cooks and craftsman to learn about the millenary traditions still kept in Bulgaria
Most important sights and attractions:
- Join culinary lesson in Arbanassi village
- Taste typical Bulgarian wines from a protected destination of origin
- Visit Plovdiv – the oldest city in Europe still existing today, selected as European Capital of Culture for 2019
- Visit UNESCO-listed Rila monastery – the biggest Bulgarian spiritual centre
Day 1 Sofia (D)
Arrival to Sofia airport. Panoramic tour of the Bulgarian capital (an 8500-years old town) on your way to the hotel. Accommodation and overnight at Ramada Sofia 4* hotel (or similar).
Dinner at “Pri Yafata” restaurant, which was founded more than 60 years ago. During the years, has won its name as the place in Sofia which offers quality meals of the Bulgarian national cuisine.
Day 2 Sofia – Arbanasi – Veliko Tarnovo (B, L)
After breakfast – departure to Arbanassi village, where guests will take part in the preparation of the two most remarkable meals in the Bulgarian cuisine – banitsa and yogurt. The first one (banitsa) is a type of filo pastry, a traditional food, which is a symbol of Bulgarian cuisine and traditions. The second one – the yogurt, is widely-used by the locals in daily cuisine. Some people, even in the bigger cities, still make it at home by themselves.
The culinary lesson is followed by a traditional lunch of typical local meals.
Next comes wine-tasting in Lyaskovets winery. The tasted wines, are typical for the DANUBIAN PLAIN REGION. The Lyaskovets winery is famous with its long traditions in producing of naturally-fermented sparkling wines.
Departure to the old capital of Bulgaria – Veliko Tarnovo. Visit to the Wax museum, the historical hill Tsarevets with the Fortress, the Patriarchal church and the Emperor Baldwin’s Tower. Walk along the old Trade Street – “Samovodska charshia”.
Accommodation and overnight at Grand Hotel Yantra 4* (or similar).
Day 3 Veliko Tarnovo – Etara – Kazanlak (Valley of Roses) – Plovdiv (B, D)
After breakfast – departure for Etara – a unique open air museum, recreating the way of life of the Bulgarians in the 19th c. It is a great attraction for tourists, one of the most visited places in the country. Here you will be able to taste various snacks and sweets from the Bulgarian national cuisine. These are for example Gevrek (small piece of bread with ring shape), Tseluvki (sweets made from glair), Pestil (local type of chocolate made from … plums), coffee on sand and ect.
Set off to Kazanlak – the capital of the Rose valley. The road to Kazanlak passes by Shipka peak, where is situated the monument of the Bulgaria liberators from the 19th c. In Kazanlak you will visit the replica of Thracian Kazanlak Tomb, dating back to the 4th c. B.C. It is listed in the world natural and historical heritage of UNESCO. Visit also the local historical museum which keeps the treasures founded in the valley of the Thracian kings.
In the late afternoon we will reach Plovdiv, the “City of the seven hills’’. Plovdiv is the oldest city in Europe, still existing today. It was called Philippopolis in the IV century B.C. in honor of King Philip II of Macedonia. Today Plovdiv is a cultural center of Bulgaria and selected as European Capital of Culture for 2019.
Dinner at a well-known local restaurant in Plovdiv.
Accommodation and overnight at Ramada Plovdiv 4* hotel (or similar).
Day 4 Plovdiv – Bachkovo Monastery – Plovdiv (B, D)
After breakfast – walking tour of the Old Town of Plovdiv impressive with the houses-museums of the Revival period like the Ethnographical museum; the Ancient Theater, the Fortress walls, the oldest church in the city – “St. St. Constantine and Helena”, etc. We will see the Muslim temple Dzhoumaya Mosque and the Roman Stadium on the main street of Plovdiv.
In the afternoon – visit of the Bachkovo Monastery, established by two Georgian brothers in ХІ century. Here is located the wonder-making icon of Virgin Mary, and in the monastery dining room are preserved unique wall-paintings ХVІІ century.
Dinner and wine tasting in TODOROFF BOUTIQUE WINE CELLAR. The wine cellar has small hotel and SPA center, which offers procedures, based on the wine-therapy.
Overnight in Plovdiv.
Day 5 Plovdiv – Rila Monastery – Sofia (B, L, D)
After breakfast – departure to Rila Monastery (X c.)- the biggest Bulgarian spiritual center since the Middle Ages till nowadays, included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It’s located in a picturesque mountain area. The Rila Monastery has rich collection of icons and wall-paintings. Its museum keeps a real treasure: a wooden cross of just 81 cm height, carved with 104 religious scenes and 650 figures.
Lunch at a local restaurant with mountain river trout menu.
Departure back to Sofia for check in the hotel and refreshment break before the farewell dinner. It will be in a restaurant which is located in the foot of Vitosha Mountain and is a replica of the traditional water-mill. Nowadays it is transformed into a center of Bulgarian national cuisine and folklore.
Overnight in Sofia.
Day 6 Sofia (B)
After breakfast – transfer to Sofia airport and flight back home.
- Accommodation for 5 nights in hotels 4*.
- 11 meals – 5 breakfasts, 4 dinners and 2 lunches including the following special meals:
- Lunch with a culinary lesson in Arbanasi village
- Dinner at a museum-restaurant Hadji Nikoli Inn in Veliko Tarnovo
- Dinner with wine tasting in Todoroff winery
- Farewell dinner in a folklore restaurant in Sofia
- Wine tasting in Lyaskovets winery
- A/C vehicle with driver during the whole trip (for groups up to 6 passengers a driver-cum-guide is arranged)
- Parking fees and road taxes.
- All entrance fees for the museums, sites and churches
- Professional tour guide speaking your language* for touring days and English speaking assistant for airport transfers
* for some languages a supplement may be applied
- Detailed map of Bulgaria
- 1 tour leader free of charge in SGL room for min 20 full paying PAX
Tour prices don’t include:
- Other meals than mentioned
- Flight tickets to Bulgaria
- Personal expenses